Spire Global is seeking a talented and motivated software engineer to join the Spire Weather Software Engineering (SE) team in Boulder, Colorado to help support our mission to deliver world-class weather-prediction products based on Radio Occultation (GNSS-RO) profiles from our unique satellite constellation.
Spire Weather operates a wide variety of complex scientific-software workflows comprising data ingest and transformation, data assimilation, numerical weather prediction, and post-processing and data distribution tasks, in a hybrid cloud / high-performance computing (HPC) environment, 24x7. This role requires sound software-development skills, as well as an operations (ops) mindset and a willingness to take ownership of aspects of our production processes.
Responsibilities of this role:
- Maintain and extend existing monitoring and alerting infrastructure to support on-time delivery of customer products via complex workflow-based pipelines
- Improve product reliability by researching promising ops techniques, developing proprietary software tools, integrating available third-party tools, etc.
- Develop runbooks and other incident-response materials and procedures to enable SE team members and non-SE operations staff to diagnose and resolve ops issues
- Establish and manage the interface between the Spire Weather SE team and non-SE ops staff responsible for after-hours incident response, including providing training, incorporating feedback into SE-team processes, and triaging incidents persisting beyond initial response
- Support general SE-team objectives by managing deployments of software updates, developing new operational workflows, writing tests, helping to maintain our configuration-management and continuous-integration systems, etc.
- 5+ years experience developing and deploying software applications in a production environment as part of a collaborative-software development team using object oriented and scripting languages such as Java, Python, Ruby, Bash, etc.
- revision control systems (specifically, git), testing, code quality tools (e.g. linters, type checkers), continuous integration, and configuration-management tools
- Experience supporting and developing complex workflows
- Experience maintaining and writing quality technical documentation
- Professional experience working with GNU/Linux
- BS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related field; or equivalent working experience
Strong candidates will also possess skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Commitment to modern software engineering tools and best practices
- Linux system-administration, including networking
- The Python scientific-software stack
- Cloud platforms, especially AWS and CloudFormation
- HPC, including batch system and MPI or other parallel/concurrent techniques
- Declarative programming techniques and/or functional languages like Clojure
- Compiled languages like Fortran or C, and traditional build systems (make, Autotools)
- Experience working with scientists
- Experience with Python packaging
- Experience writing run-books
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.