Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
In the time it takes you to read this job description, our low earth orbit nanosatellites would have passed overhead at least three times traveling at around 8km a second. Onboard, the satellites are collecting and downloading radio signals (data) that help drive value across the Maritime, Weather and Aviation industries. Since Spire’s first launch in 2013, we’ve put up more than 100 satellites, each batch better than the previous one (at the time of this writing, we are on our 18th iteration). Our satellites have three payloads: Our AIS data receiver that tracks ships on the ocean, our GNSS/GPS radio occultation receiver for our weather division, and our ADS-B aircraft signal receiver. The Spire Maritime team is focused on taking that data and impacting the world in positive ways.
We are seeking a digitally-savvy, experienced marketing mind to lead our public relations efforts, influencer outreach, and events. This role has a very high degree of creative freedom and visibility, in tandem, it requires abilities in multiple areas including social media marketing, PR, event planning, thought leadership, content creation, and relationship management. Goals include: driving awareness within the maritime and maritime data industry, securing speaking slots, panel opportunities, creating and propagating thought leadership content and influencing public opinion through PR, analyst, and influencer relations.
Note: This role has an estimated start date of October 1, 2020 or later.
Responsibilities of your role:
PR, influencers and thought-leadership content:
- Identify and build relationships in a strategic and process-driven approach with prominent analysts, influencers, media partners and thought leaders in our industry.
- Closely align with our global PR team, match our internal content creation with external influencers who would enjoy receiving it or would want to share or contribute themselves.
- In conjunction with the product and our global PR team, brainstorm new creative approaches and narrative stories to pitch press releases and connect with influential media outlets and journalists to place stories about maritime news and other initiatives.
- Collaborate with our content writers to create and propagate content regularly to grow the company’s footprint in maritime space (press releases, corporate announcements, and creative content like SlideShares, infographics, story maps and more).
- Forecast, measure, and report the results of various projects with media partners and influencers, including co-created, contributed, ghostwriting and/or co-branded content promotions, and/or event partnerships.
Events and accreditations:
- Promote the Spire Maritime brand through exceptional creative projects by nurturing relationships with influencers and by attending the highest ROI generating events in the industry.
- Assist with event planning including working with vendors, event coordinators, and the creative team for on-site collaterals. Create detailed proposals for all maritime events, including timelines, venues, vendors, staffing, and budgets.
- Identify industry-recognized accreditations and awards that Spire Maritime could be eligible for and secure our speaking slots, special guest invitations, presentations, and pitches for each event.
- Analyze the ROI success of each thought-leadership event and propose new creative ideas to improve our return on investment.
- Brainstorm ideas on new types of events with partners, customers, and influencers (hackathons, webinars, fireside chats) that could help boost the brand and ROI.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent working experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, and a willingness to try creative approaches to networking.
- 3 years of relevant PR or Space or Data sector experience in public relations, corporate communications, content marketing, or relationship management.
- Deep domain knowledge of both social media marketing and maritime industry.
- Experience working with executives and other senior-level leaders, including media members and consultant.
- Comfortable with understanding and reporting the performance based on various metrics like content views, PR hits, content page views, CTR percentages, bounce-rate, social media followers and engagements, share of voice, PR clippings, brand mentions, SEO backlinks, speaking opportunities, etc.
- Extensive experience in pitching, repurposing, crafting and placing content externally through guest blogging and experience with event management and sponsorship.
- Strong abilities in developing and managing partnerships for the purpose of data distribution, lead or revenue generation, and other strategic initiatives.
- Driven by creative intuition but able to gut-check and course-correct with data, as well as report results and optimize using data.