Are you passionate about space? Do you want to be part of a fast-paced, high functioning team that knows how to work hard and play hard? Is RF satellite communications your passion? Spire Global is seeking an experienced DSP Engineer.
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Your key responsibility is to drive the design, development, and deployment of DSP algorithms and software for RF satellite payloads and communication systems. This includes cutting edge fields like machine-learning based signal detection and identification, interference mitigation etc. You will contribute to the ground and in-orbit testing and subsystem evaluation campaigns.
- Developing and implementing DSP algorithms for various types of signals, including high-data rate communications systems and payloads
- Contributing algorithms to an RF monitoring payload designed to monitor spectrum usage, communications traffic density, interference and other RF environment characteristics
- Developing DSP algorithms to extract signal properties like carrier frequency, bandwidth, doppler rates, modulation type, SNR, symbol rate, access schemes, etc.
- Testing DSP algorithms to verify they meet execution speed requirements, mathematical correctness, and stable runtime operation
- Implementing/testing low-level data transfer and processing functions that interact with FPGAs, RF front ends, and peripheral sensors of the modules
- Supporting the on-ground testing campaign through the documentation/ execution/analysis/debug phases
- Have solid background and understanding of communications theory including Shannon limits, high data rate communications, hardware and software related signal techniques, with a strong mathematical foundation
- Software-Defined Radio experience (e.g. GNU Radio, USRP)
- Good understanding of RF communication signal design techniques (e.g. modulation, encoding, filtering)
- Knowledge of the physical, link and network layers for wireless communication modules
- Experience with RF test equipment such as spectrum analyzers, VNAs etc.
- Able to write production-quality C/Python DSP code
- Experience with machine learning algorithms
- 3+ years of experience required
Strong candidates will also possess skills in one or more of the following:
- Experience with satellite communication systems, including environmental and component reliability requirements
- Knowledge of industry regulatory requirements and licensing
- Machine learning experience related to signal processing, ideally on embedded platforms such as Xilinx SoCs, Nvidia Jetson etc., including using convolutional neural networks
- Experience with RF module test and fault-find at bench level, environmental level (EMC and thermal vacuum testing) and spacecraft level.
- RF modem design and implementation (QPSK, APSK, 16APSK, QAM)
- FPGA Design/ Programming (Verilog, VHDL)
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Want to join us?
We are constantly looking for bright growth-minded people to join our teams around the world. If you would like to join us you can email your CV here: Send my application