Spire is a space-powered data and analytics platform that offers unique insights and powerful solutions about Earth from the ultimate vantage point – space – so organizations can act now and plan for the future with confidence, accuracy and speed. Leveraging its proprietary multi-purpose satellite constellation and sophisticated predictive analytics, Spire gives commercial and government organizations an unprecedented competitive advantage to solve their toughest challenges, empowered with knowledge from space.
Spire Global is seeking a confident and experienced engineer to drive the design, development, and deployment of DSP algorithms and software for satellite RF communication systems. This includes cutting edge fields like machine-learning based signal detection and identification, interference mitigation etc.
You will contribute to the ground and in-orbit testing and subsystem evaluation campaigns.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Developing and implementing DSP algorithms for various types of signals, including high-data rate communications systems
- Contributing algorithms to satellite and ground communication systems designed to provide reliable TT&C and data links
- Developing DSP algorithms to extract signal properties like carrier frequency, bandwidth, doppler rates, modulation type, SNR, symbol rate, access schemes, etc.
- Testing DSP algorithms to verify they meet execution speed requirements, mathematical correctness, and stable runtime operation
- Implementing/testing low-level data transfer and processing functions that interact with FPGAs, RF front ends, and peripheral sensors of the modules
- Supporting the on-ground testing campaign through the documentation/ execution/analysis/debug phases
- Have solid background and understanding of communications theory including Shannon limits, high data rate communications, hardware and software related signal techniques, with a strong mathematical foundation
- Software-Defined Radio experience (e.g. GNU Radio, USRP)
- Good understanding of RF communication signal design techniques (e.g. modulation, encoding, filtering)
- Knowledge of the physical, link and network layers for wireless communication modules
- Experience with RF test equipment such as spectrum analyzers, VNAs etc.
- Able to write production-quality C/Python DSP code
- Experience with machine learning algorithms
- 3+ years of experience required
- Experience with satellite communication systems, including environmental and component reliability requirements
- Knowledge of industry regulatory requirements and licensing
- Machine learning experience related to signal processing, ideally on embedded platforms such as Xilinx SoCs, Nvidia Jetson etc., including using convolutional neural networks
- Experience with RF module test and fault-find at bench level, environmental level (EMC and thermal vacuum testing) and spacecraft level.
- RF modem design and implementation (QPSK, APSK, 16APSK, QAM)
- FPGA Design/ Programming (Verilog, VHDL)
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.