Weather Forecast Verification/Product Engineer
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the world's largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
We have an opening for a Forecast Verification and Analytics Developer to provide long-term support for work in the area of weather model data analytics and diagnostics, including the intercomparison of model results with a variety of observational data. The successful candidate will help facilitate the validation and implementation of Spire’s weather forecasting systems including maximizing the value and use of Spire's Radio Occultation (GNSS-RO) data. The person in this position will be a key contributor toward the implementation and improvement of Spire modeling systems, data testing, and weather products.
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated individual to work with a team of NWP modelers, data assimilation experts, software engineers, and product developers within Spire as well as scientists from around the world to assimilate unprecedented large amounts of GNSS-RO satellite data, all with the end-goal of making weather forecasts better for the global community. The successful candidate will join Spire's office in Luxembourg.
- Work with Spire NWP modeling and research team to implement and maintain state-of-art forecast verification capabilities in Spire’s weather forecasting system
- Compile model output and data, perform analyses, and communicate findings to stakeholders
- Partner with our software engineers to enhance our existing verification workflows for all operational products
- Collaborate in the development, testing, and implementation of advanced physics and data assimilation improvements within global weather prediction models
- Masters or Ph.D. degree in Meteorology, Atmospheric Science, Applied Statistics or equivalent working experience in meteorology
- 3-5 years of experience focused on performing objective forecast verification or analyses of geophysical forecasts
- Proficient with CLI tools for geophysical data wrangling in Linux
- Demonstrated capability performing forecast analyses using one or more community analytics software collections such as the Model Evaluation Toolkit (MET), the Program for Climate Model Diagnosis and Intercomparison (PCMDI) Metrics Package (PMP) or Coordinated Model Evaluation Capabilities (CMEC) package or other similar tools
- Ability and willingness to collaborate amongst cross-functional engineering, scientific, and product development teams
- A working knowledge of community data formats such as GRIB, NetCDF and HDF
- Knowledge of high-level programming languages such as Python and common libraries such as Numpy, Pandas and Cartopy
- Familiarity with high-performance computing (HPC) work environments such as SLURM or Torque
- Experience with community weather models such as WRF, MPAS, FV3 and GFS
- Working knowledge of revision control systems such as Git
- Previous experience working in an operational environment
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.