Space Services Systems Engineer
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Spire also works with businesses & governments to co-create and deploy customizable data collection satellites and networks within months. This is secure, real-time data from custom payloads fitted to a customer's needs. We call this Space Services.
As a Space Services Systems Engineer, you will be the primary engineering contact for Space Services missions. You will own missions starting at concept development and work with the business teams and customers to elicit customer requirements, translate them into a mission design, and work with the engineering teams on identifying critical trade-offs and executing on projects. You will shepherd the technical aspects of the mission development as customer programs move through their lifecycle.
As an engineer at Spire, you’ll move fast, iterate quickly, and solve global problems. You might be the right fit if you love exciting technical challenges, hate getting bored, and enjoy collaborating with engineers who are changing the way the world thinks about space, satellites, and data.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Support multiple Space Services projects through different stages of their lifecycle
- Work with the business and engineering teams to translate customer requirements into mission, system and subsystem requirements
- Work with the engineering teams to develop and manage technical requirements and turn those into project plans, informing scope and timelines
- Perform mission concept studies, drive architecture development and systems engineering required to assess concept feasibility
- Develop and validate concepts of operations
- Control the interfaces between Spire spacecraft and customer payloads
- Deliver systems analyses for missions (e.g. thermal, structural, comms)
- Use and occasionally develop or improve mission design and systems engineering tools (ranging from spreadsheets to custom software tools)
- Develop and maintain critical budgets
- Develop test campaigns based on mission requirements
- Coordinate with various technical teams to perform system and subsystem tradeoff studies
- Develop and maintain technical documentation for missions
Qualifications / Experience:
- 5+ years of experience in a space systems engineering role
- Thorough space systems engineering knowledge, with coverage at mission-level, space segment, ground segment and software
- Basic understanding of spacecraft subsystem hardware and software design
- Experience with mission analysis tools (e.g. STK, Matlab, Python)
- Experience with CAD systems (e.g. Solidworks, Altium)
- Demonstrated experience with missions or systems that have made it to orbit
- Excellent technical writing and editing skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage requirements and interfaces
- Experience in system architecture, tradeoff processes, risk management, etc.
Exceptional candidates will also possess skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Experience with ERP systems and manufacturing environments in general
- Hands-on experience with spacecraft hardware in the lab or cleanroom
- Hands-on experience with lab test equipment, executing test campaigns
- Experience operating satellites in production environments
- Experience working directly with customers
- Experience with ECSS standards and typical ESA project and documentation processes
- Scientific programming experience (e.g. Python, Matlab)
- Experience with agile and fast-paced space technology development companies and processes
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.