Global Compliance Counsel
Spire Global, Inc. is a space-powered data and analytics platform that offers unique datasets and powerful insights about Earth from the ultimate vantage point so customers can make decisions with confidence, accuracy, and speed. Spire uses the largest multi-purpose satellite constellation to source and enrich data with highly predictive solutions, allowing users to rapidly course-correct, deploy resources, mitigate risk, and save lives. Spire gives commercial and government organizations an unprecedented competitive advantage to innovate and solve the world’s toughest problems from space.
We are looking for a highly motivated and collaborative Global Compliance Counsel to join the Spire Legal Team to drive innovation across our global offices. As Export Control Counsel, you will be a critical part of making this happen. While designing, implementing, and maintaining a scalable compliance framework, you will have the opportunity to work alongside an all-star team of engineers who design and build our technology and our world-class sales team who deliver Spire products to government and commercial customers around the world. You will have to understand the entire business, from radio occultation to reseller rights. But most importantly, you’ll have the chance to build a wealth of expertise in an industry that is heading up and to the right.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Understand the changing risk landscape for a quickly growing company in established and emerging markets. Stay abreast of regulatory developments in relevant jurisdictions to ensure that Spire has a clear view of the compliance horizon.
- Formulate and implement scalable solutions to address compliance risks across sales, engineering, and operations.
- Ensure that Spire’s compliance framework supports strategic initiatives and enables business growth by actively participating in Design, Launch, Supply Chain and Business Team meetings. Partner with Talent and People Teams to help meet the personnel needs of a swiftly scaling international business.
- Design and implement dynamic training programs for a growing, distributed workforce tailored to specific risk areas (engineering, sales, hiring).
- Leverage key data to inform compliance decisions and audit program effectiveness.
- Represent Spire before U.K., U.S. and international authorities responsible for export control licensing, regulations, and policies.
- Serve as Spire’s in-house expert on EU and UK export licensing rules and procedures.
- Oversee and audit internal systems for maintaining existing export licenses and record keeping practices.
- Ability to learn on the job and take on new challenges as the business grows.
- Be constantly curious.
- A mix of private (law firm) and company (in house) practice experience.
- 7+ years’ practice experience.
- JD or equivalent desired.
- Thorough understanding of UK and EU export control and sanctions laws, regulations, and policies. Working understanding of US ITAR and EAR export control regimes.
- Sanctions, anti-corruption, data protection or other compliance experience.
- Litigation experience.
- Team player who can work fluidly across a diverse and geographically distributed team.
- Excellent independent judgement and execution; ability to assess legal risks and business impact of compliance decisions and deliver on schedule.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to translate laws and regulations into actionable business advice.
- Satellite industry and satellite design/operations and/or telecommunications industry experience a plus.
- Sense of humour beneficial.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.