Software Engineer, Aviation
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth. Operating in four countries across three continents, Spire is a truly international company. We are looking for highly motivated team players who will help us continue to grow on the ground, and in space.
Spire’s Aviation Business Unit is currently working on making real-time, truly global coverage of all aircraft a reality by leveraging the capabilities of our ADS-B-tracking satellites. Our goal is to help all airlines, air traffic controllers and aircraft manufacturers gain complete visibility on global airways, as well as to provide value-additive analytics to assist all actors of the aviation ecosystem in taking better, more informed decisions.
As a software engineer at Spire on our Aviation team, you’ll move fast, iterate quickly, and solve global problems. You might be the right fit if you love exciting technical challenges, hate getting bored, and enjoy collaborating with engineers who are changing the way the world thinks about space, satellites, the global aviation ecosystem, and data.
You will join a team responsible for the design and development of our ground-side data processing, building tools and products on top of aviation data, analytics and presentation.
Responsibilities of your role:
● Working as part of a small team to design and deploy web applications, services, and data streaming/processing systems
● Working closely with Product Management to define and enhance customer-facing products and applications
● Helping to lead the design, implementation, and deployment of new features
● Building tools for internal and external users to process, analyse and visualise data
● 3+ years working experience in software engineering
● Computer science, electrical engineering degree or equivalent work experience
● Have experience using RESTful APIs
● Have experience with development in Python
● Experience with data visualisation
● Working with relational and non relational database e.g. PostgreSQL, Redis, ORMs
● Demonstrates intellectual curiosity about business, technology and customer applications.
● Have experience programming RESTful APIs and backend systems, preferably in Go.
● Have experience in CI/CD processes/tooling and deployment with infrastructure as code (e.g. terraform, cloudformation).
● Experience with analytics/platform as a service, preferably in the aviation or travel sector.
● Full-stack web development, from designing and implementing UIs all the way down through domain modeling, data processing, and database tuning.
● Developing and deploying distributed applications on AWS.
● Writing automated unit and integration tests, ideally in a Test Driven Development fashion.
● Have worked within distributed teams & multicultural environments.
● Displays strong writing skills and the ability to communicate and present arguments and recommendations via the written word (i.e. writing).
● Interest in or experience with the aviation industry.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.