Director of Accounting | Americas Controller
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
As part of strengthening its global Finance and Accounting team, Spire is seeking a Director of Accounting / Americas Controller who is passionate about adding value to the organization through strong focus on timely and accurate monthly, quarterly and annual financial accounting and reporting, process improvement and automation that all continue to enhance Spire’s scalability and success as a publicly held company. This is an exciting opportunity for a proven finance professional and leader – with a high attention to detail - who sees the “bigger picture” on a global scale, enjoys challenges, can juggle multiple priorities, and thrives at going above and beyond whilst driving forward an ethos of continuous improvement. This role will require proven U.S. GAAP accounting and reporting experience, practical problem-solving skills, staff management and development experience, and a good balance between strategic thinking and a willingness to roll up sleeves and dive into the detail.
The Director of Accounting / Americas Controller role will be responsible for the Global and U.S. legal entities and manage U.S. accounting, U.S. payroll, U.S. tax and treasury, global revenue, customer billings and accounts receivable. This role will start out managing a team of approximately 5 employees, but growth is expected to match the growth of Spire’s business.
This role reports to the Chief Accounting Officer.
Responsibilities of your role:
- The delivery of timely, complete and accurate financial information that can be relied on to help drive ongoing financial decisions is, of course, crucial.
- You will oversee and coordinate all U.S. / Americas financial statement close process and optimize all financial and accounting procedures.
- Full day-to-day leadership and management responsibility for U.S. / Americas accounting team, which includes accountants, payroll, tax and treasury, revenue and accounts receivable.
- This role will be the “go-to” person within accounting and finance for U.S. / Americas.
- Develop a well-integrated, action-oriented team that encourages open communication, collaboration, and innovation that strives to develop the employee and achieves a healthy work environment.
- Manage and coordinate the relationship with key external professional advisors – specifically external auditors and our tax advisors.
- Responsible for all U.S. / Americas reporting.
- Identify and drive initiatives to improve processes, create innovation, resolve cross functional issues and develop talent within the accounting organization.
- Work collaboratively with key team members from the finance, planning & analysis team, human resources, legal and operations.
- Play a key support role for both the CFO and Chief Accounting Officer in Spire’s growth initiatives.
- 10+ years’ experience
- 5+ years management experience.
- Qualified Accountant (CPA, CA, CIMA, ACCA).
- 5+ years of experience as an Accounting Manager or Controller.
- ERP Systems – experience of systems implementations and optimization.
- Experience working with U.S. GAAP.
- 10+ years of relevant experience including progressive experience with multinational companies - at least 5 years must be at management level.
- 5+ years’ experience as an Accounting Manager/ Controller at a high-growth U.S. listed public company.
- Systems / ERP experience with NetSuite a strong plus.
- Strong technical knowledge of U.S. GAAP.
- Demonstrated leadership of a high performing accounting team and evidenced track record of driving improved financial performance.
- Extensive and proven experience of evolving and developing processes, controls and systems in support of listed company requirements.
- Strong and proven ability to analyze and interpret financial data and prepare financial reports, statements and projections.
- Solid planning, organizational and project management skills with the ability to multi-task and assimilate and interpret new information quickly.
- Have strong communication skills, excellent interpersonal skills, professional gravitas, and presentation skills that foster and build strong relationships with a wide range of different business partners and stakeholders.
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality work product to tight reporting time frames.
- Operates at the highest level of professionalism and personal integrity.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.