Ground Stations Engineer
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
As a Ground Stations Engineer, you will play a key role in building, installing and maintaining our global network of ground stations for communication with our growing fleet of CubeSats in the UHF and S-Band frequencies.
The ideal candidate will be a natural contributor able to put their ego aside, that has a passion for Spire’s mission of using space-collected data to better understand our world. Strong collaboration skills coupled with self-motivation will be essential in tackling the unique challenges of the role.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Develop a comprehensive understanding of the hardware and software components in the current ground stations. Also develop an understanding of the ground station network architecture and the associated rollout plan for future ground stations. Deploy and maintain ground stations on an aggressive schedule to meet business objectives.
- Assemble ground station enclosures and install waterproof bulkhead connectors. Install rack-mount hardware and establish all electrical and RF connections. Debug configuration issues as necessary. Standardize the assembly and maintenance process.
- Assess potential ground station sites for viability by surveying for physical obstructions and RF interference at each location. Demonstrate the ability to use a spectrum analyzer and SDR in the field to collect and analyze measurements in the desired frequency bands. Perform preliminary analysis and communicate results to the RF design team.
- Debug ground station issues reported by the operations team. Repair hardware in the field as necessary. Develop preventative maintenance plan and maintain a record of component failures. Work with technicians at the host site to perform minor repairs.
- Demonstrate a methodical approach to system maintenance activities and maintain a clean and organized workspace.
Basic Qualifications / Experience:
- Field support and project leadership
- Debugging complex electrical and mechanical systems
- Debugging user-reported issues
- Working knowledge of Linux/Unix
- Working knowledge of networking infrastructure (switches, fiber, ethernet, POE)
- Installing/maintaining server rack equipment
- Working knowledge of RF test equipment (spectrum analyzers, vector network analyzers, oscilloscopes, etc)
- Knowledge of best practices for maintaining systems deployed in extreme environments (hot and cold)
- Ability to create and test electrical cabling (RF, ethernet, control cables)
- Willingness to travel up to 70% of time
- Willingness to support systems in extreme conditions (from the arctic to the desert)
- Calm disposition in stressful situations
- Experience with software defined radios
- Experience with RF equipment operating from 400 MHz to 18 GHz
- Experience with antenna positioning systems
- Professional workmanship (clean worksite, tidy cable maintenance, thorough documentation, etc)
- Collaborative personality
- Sense of humor
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.