Machine Learning Engineer / Data Scientist
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
We are looking for a Senior Machine Learning/Data Scientist. The Senior Machine Learning/Data Scientist will be an integral part of a small but agile team tasked with building a high resolution soil moisture product from the merging of Spire GNSS-R data and SAR data.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Provide leadership and scientific knowledge to drive project activity.
- Coordinate efforts of the team project deliverables and drive each milestone to successful completion.
- Develops and programs integrated software algorithms to structure, analyze and leverage data in product and systems applications in both structured and unstructured environments.
- Develops and communicates descriptive, diagnostic, predictive and prescriptive insights/algorithms.
- Uses machine language and statistical modelling techniques such as decision trees, logistic regression, Bayesian analysis, and others to develop and evaluate algorithms to improve product/system performance, quality, data management, and accuracy.
- In both theoretical development environments and specific product design, implementation, and improvement environments use current programming language and technologies to translate algorithms and technical specifications into code.
- Applies deep learning technologies to give computers the capability to visualize, learn and respond to complex situations.
- Work with large-scale computing frameworks, data systems, and modelling environments.
- Applicants must have either an MSc or Ph.D. degree in STEM or associated qualification with demonstrated experience with machine learning.
- Exceptionally well-organized, with the ability to go as deep as needed in any project to identify and resolve problems.
- Adaptability to new ideas and the ability to push the envelope of remote sensing retrieval capabilities to deliver unique applications in Earth observations and predictive services.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated working experience applying machine learning techniques and advanced data science techniques to problems, preferably in the field of geosciences.
- Experience and aptitude in developing hypotheses and machine learning solutions for real-world problems.
- Experience developing scalable systems in industry or research environments
- Quantitative background in Statistics, Computer Science, Math or other technical fields.
- Experience with common analysis tools available in Python (such as NumPy and scikit-learn) and deep learning libraries (such as TensorFlow and PyTorch).
- Application of machine learning techniques to geoscience data.
- Experience in ML retrieval algorithms applied to remote sensing data.
- Experience in large-scale data processing systems, including ingesting and analyzing large quantities of remote sensing data from various sources.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.