Director, Earth Intelligence
Spire is the leading space data company and Earth solutions platform - building, owning and operating the world’s largest multi-purpose constellation of commercial nanosatellites. Spire provides the most advanced tracking of the world’s ships, planes and weather systems with the best-in-class near real-time coverage of the entire globe. Our exclusive predictive data-analytics engine offers a competitive advantage to our customers as they navigate a rapidly digitizing economy. Sitting at the nexus of answers to the world’s toughest challenges, Spire empowers businesses and governments to make critical, time-sensitive decisions about what to do next in a rapidly changing, and digital world.
Spire also leverages its constellation to constantly collect rich and unique data sets about our planet’s surface and its atmospheric layers to provide a complete view of what’s happening on and around Earth. Our predictive models then distill complex environmental data into “Earth Intelligence” solutions customers can use to make business decisions, drive public initiatives, and anticipate future climate fluctuations. Those solutions already include data products on earth’s soil moisture, sea ice or on the state of space weather.
We are looking for an experienced Earth Intelligence Engineering Director to lead the execution of technology development efforts for the Spire Earth Intelligence Team globally. This individual will be responsible for enacting the vision of Spire’s Earth Intelligence team to develop world leading Earth Intelligence products across the analysis of Earth’s surface, atmosphere and space.
The ideal candidate is a highly motivated, metrics- and results-driven leader with an open, collaborative and team-based approach to leadership and management. He/she has proven repeatedly that they can deliver complex, cross-functional projects on aggressive timelines, in a rapidly changing technology environment, with an international, multi-location team, to achieve success in a demanding and competitive market.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Lead and inspire a global, interdisciplinary team of scientists, software engineers, data engineers and technical managers to ensure on-time delivery of key Earth intelligence product initiatives
- Ensure that operational delivery of Earth Intelligence data services to customers proceeds on schedule as per customer contracts
- Lead and manage the work plan for Spire’s Earth Intelligence science and engineering team, working closely with the business unit and General Manager to ensure delivery of technology based on the business strategy
- Collaborate across functional areas to collect and provide input on technical feasibility and scientific timelines and resources
- Foster a high-performance, international, success-oriented, accountable culture.
- Develop a team of collaborative superstars, attracting and hiring top talent, and developing and managing their performance.
- Mentor individual contributors and leaders.
- 10+ years’ experience leading technical teams and driving execution in an international multi-disciplinary engineering and/or research organization.
- Proven ability to ensure scalability and operational excellence of scientific and technical services to customers
- Proven leadership ability to work with an integrated, international, multi-location, cross-functional team to solve complex design and development challenges and problems; including managing technical performance, schedule, budget and risk.
- Demonstrated ability to break down complex projects into easily defined executable parts.
- Demonstrated competency in strategic planning for product delivery and release of engineering and data related products.
- Experience interacting with business leaders to translate strategy and high level requirements into a delivery plan that can be executed on time by the science and engineering team
- Strong personal credibility with the ability to creatively drive and manage change due to scale in a growing organization
- Proven experience in identifying key talent needs, attracting, acquiring, mentoring and retaining top talent.
- Working knowledge of data analysis and performance/operation metrics
- Bachelor's Degree required, Masters or PhD preferred
- Familiarity with earth observation, remote sensing or geospatial data processing
- Delivered products for commercial and government customers
- Experience leading technical teams inside a commercial organization
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.