Sr Software Engineer, Infrastructure
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Our products are data analytics APIs consumed by governments and small businesses alike seeking best in class information on weather, maritime activity, aviation activity, or looking to leverage our space program to launch and operate custom hardware.
Scope of the role:
- It’s a space program. Design, implement and test the code that runs it.
- Productize the APIs that our internal and external Orbital Services customers use.
- Work with Orbital Services customers to improve our APIs, integrate into our systems, and further our product offering to meet their needs.
- Interface with hardware and software teams internally and externally, to advocate for Spire’s Orbital Services product, gather requirements, and solve a broad array of technical problems using software.
- Contribute to data products that have a strong social impact: weather monitoring, ship, and aircraft tracking, and more.
- Join a team that is unusually deep and broad: backend web services, distributed and embedded systems, electrical and mechanical engineering, RF, DSP, AI/ML, etc.
- Work in a technical domain — space —that is different from a run of the mill web app.
- 4+ years working experience in software engineering
- Computer science degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience with compiled languages and interpreted languages
Preferred Qualifications / Experience:
- Domain flexibility, good communication skills, and preference for simple, robust solutions.
- Strong written communications
- Experience with Python, Go.
- Experience with distributed systems.
- Strong understanding of algorithms and data structures.
- Highly detailed oriented and completeness driven; won’t stop until it’s done done, and done properly
- Drive to expose yourself to state of the art in software and incorporating it into your work. See the big picture, understand where the world is heading, and instinctively know the right way to do things.
- Ability to work across the teams directly involved in orbital services (satellite platform, Constellation SPEED, Constellation Optimization, Constellation Pipeline) to find common ground and mutually effective resolutions to technical issues.
- Hands on DevOps experience. Familiarly with tools like Docker, Ansible, Terraform, AirFlow, Jenkins, AWS.
- Product mentality: figure out how to maximize value.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.