Satellite Operations Engineer
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
At Spire, we operate one of the largest constellations of low-earth orbit satellites. We are growing our team and looking for someone passionate about operations to help ensure we continue to execute as a leader in the small satellite industry.
As a Satellite Operations Engineer, you will be responsible for operating Spire’s Satellite Constellation. You will be responsible for ensuring the reliability of the constellation while working directly with the engineering and software development teams to improve the overall performance of the satellites and the associated ground system.
Responsibilities of your role
- Operate the command and control software in a Unix environment to meet mission objectives for the satellite constellation during all phases of operations, including launch, commissioning, production, and re-entry (including off-hours and weekend support).
- Recognize anomalous conditions on the satellite and ground station network and support other engineering teams by contributing to recovery efforts and maintaining thorough documentation.
- Maintain accurate logs of satellite operations activities and update the knowledge-base with subsystem status changes as appropriate.
- Build and edit tools to automate manual processes in satellite operations.
- Develop automated commanding scripts in Python for new activities to be carried out on a spacecraft.
- Support the on-ground testing campaign through the documentation / execution / analysis / debug phases.
- Validate on-orbit performance of the payload by analyzing observation data and satellite telemetry.
- Act as liaison between the engineering and operations team to roll out new features and troubleshoot on-orbit issues.
- Proficiency with Python and Linux
- Experience with Github and/or software configuration management systems
- Experience in process automation, from design to software development
- Experience writing issue-tickets and discrepancy reports
- Experience with anomaly support and troubleshooting
- Candidates must be proficient in English
- Strong data analysis skills (statistics, hypothesis testing, data visualization)
- Experience with satellite command and control software
- Experience working in a 24/7 support environment
- Knowledge of satellite bus system operations such as Electrical Power Systems (EPS), Attitude Determination and Control Systems (ADCS) or Communications Systems
- Experience in systems engineering, covering the design, implementation, verification, and operation phases
- Experience of developing spacecraft payload / bus components
- Experience working in cross-disciplinary teams or program management
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently, yet in a collaborative environment.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.