Sr Software Engineer, Data Platform
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Software Platform Engineers play an important role in shaping the engineering culture and vision for Spire's Space Program as we move into new realms of more sophisticated, more reliable, and faster evolving satellite operations and end user products. We are responsible for defining, promoting, building, and operating the tools that power software delivery and operations across our virtual and bare metal assets. Come support our mission to deliver a world class experience to Space Program developers and shape the future of space operations.
The scope will be as follows:
- Architectural leadership and mentorship in regards to operability and engineering velocity
- Develop and support our existing build, test and continuous integration for AWS, ground systems, and satellite systems
- Develop and support configuration infrastructure (terraform, ansible, etc)
- Develop internal services and processes to improve efficiency across the software development lifecycle for the engineering organization
- Work closely with other engineering teams to evangelize and support SRE systems, tooling, and culture.
- Meet or exceed SLAs consistently
- Maintain good ticket performance and satisfaction
Cultural traits we’re looking for:
- Can articulate your ideas well in both spoken and written form
- Promotes open and effective collaboration between people and teams
- Balancing tactical and strategic decisions for overall mission success
- Understand the value of reducing procedural and technical complexity
- Feel strongly about technological and operational performance
What we offer:
- Contribute to data products that have a strong social impact: weather monitoring, ship and aircraft tracking, and more.
- Join a team that is unusually deep and broad: backend web services, distributed and embedded systems, electrical and mechanical engineering, RF, DSP, AI/ML, etc.
- It’s a space program. Write code that runs on the ground and in orbit.
- You get to work on unique and challenging technical problems that are different from your average web app.
- You have a Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering or related field, or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience.
- Minimum of 4 years of operational experience with any cloud provider and their managed services such as AWS, GCP or Digital Ocean
- Experience with configuration management (Puppet/Ansible/Chef) and infrastructure as code (terraform/cloudformation)
- Experience with container orchestration (Kubernetes, ECS, Mesos/Marathon)
- Experience with continuous delivery tooling and methodologies
- Operational understanding of modern distributed systems and tracing architecture
- Experience with writing high quality code in various programming languages such as Python, Ruby, or Go-lang
- Ability to debug complex problems across multiple systems
- Knows their way around a terminal
- Can lead technical architecture discussions and help drive design decisions within your team
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.