Geolocation Signal Processing Engineer III
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Spire’s Research & Development (R&D) branch is growing an RF Spectrum Monitoring Team. This is a small, tightly knit, highly collaborative team spread across the world. Spire owns and operates over 120 nanosatellites constantly collecting RF activity across the spectrum and this team has the sole responsibility of monitoring, detecting, geolocating, and providing other actionable near real-time insights. Illegal fishing, GNSS jamming, and refinement of aircraft travel are all daily applications one can look forward to in this role.
As a Signal Processing Engineer, you will work across the various disciplines of satellite remote sensing and data analysis, signal processing, and geolocation services. You will work with the world’s premier nanosatellite RF observations to develop products harnessing our unique software-defined payloads. You will develop the signal processing algorithms and codes to turn Spire's numerous payload measurements into valuable products for a wide variety of global customers. You can expect to have personal control over designing, managing, and executing RF collection missions. You will have the responsibility to ensure that we deliver high-quality, low-latency services and products and the freedom to pursue novel, high-impact applications. And instead of your ideas and efforts sitting on a shelf or hidden in an academic journal, you will see and experience them actually working in space within months of joining Spire.
- Conceives and scopes projects based on services such as signal detection, acquisition, and geolocation derived from raw data sets collected by satellites.
- Contributes to system-level design and implementation of real-time, RF spectrum monitoring solutions.
- Fluency in geolocation algorithms such as TDOA, FDOA, and other novel techniques that can be applied to single and multi-receiver configurations.
- Develops tools and codes to characterize raw data sets, including signal processing of known and unknown signal types with the intent to characterize the radio frequency environment and geolocate signals of interest.
- Develops Python/C signal processing algorithms for the detection and extraction of both known and unknown signal types
- Develops Python/C tools and codes for raw data set characterization (SNR, modulation type, etc)
- Analyzes existing data sets and plans future campaigns to collect new data sets based on customer requirements.
- Authors or substantially contributes to proposals, documentation, and procedures for internal and external customers.
- Applicants must have either an MSc or Ph.D. degree in aerospace engineering, electrical engineering, mathematics, or another field related to PNT or geolocation services.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Python and C.
- Demonstrated signal processing and DSP experience, preferably using satellite-based observations
- Strong knowledge of the RF chain with application to link budgets
- Demonstrated experience working with satellite-based RF signals and systems.
- Experience writing technical reports and proposals.
- Advanced signal processing techniques for detecting and characterizing a priori unknown signal structures.
- Knowledge and research experience of satellite systems as a whole
- Understanding of research and techniques in processing geoscience data.
- Experience with coding for GPUs and other compute-intensive platforms.
- Strong Linux and open-source background.
- Strong publication record
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.