Payload DevOps Engineer
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Spire Global is seeking a confident and experienced engineer to become a key contributor to our team developing software defined radios for AIS and ADS-B reception. The role involves development of both ground-side and satellite payload software.
You will work on continuous improvement efforts to speed up the team's processes for developing payload and ground-side software, including maintaining CI pipelines for analysis, testing, building and deployment. You will also support automation of payload checkout, commissioning, operation and routine maintenance activities.
To ensure high payload performance and availability, you will also develop and maintain tooling to measure and monitor key performance indicators for the payload, using telemetry and data products downlinked from the satellite. You will create alerting mechanisms to notify stakeholders on SLO/SLA violations or other performance degradations.
You will work closely within the payload team with the operations team and internal customers to investigate, root cause and resolve operational incidents.
Key job functions include automation of processes for development, maintenance, monitoring and operation. On the payload team, you will work closely with Spire's satellite operations, constellation pipeline and data platform teams.
- At least 3 years experience in a software development role
- Experience in Linux system administration and system scripting
- Strong Python knowledge
- Developing, deploying, troubleshooting and optimizing distributed applications on cloud infrastructure, e.g. AWS
- Experience with configuration management (e.g. Ansible) and infrastructure as code (e.g. Terraform)
- Experience from maintaining CI/CD systems
- Familiar with common Python libraries such as Flask, SQLAlchemy, etc.
- Familiar with monitoring/alerting tools such as Datadog and Sentry
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience building and maintaining data pipelines
- Experience from GitOps, Argo CD and Kubernetes
- Experience in Rust, C++ or C
- Embedded Linux experience, using Yocto or similar
- Data analysis and visualization experience
- Strong relational database skills
- Strong experience in AWS, such as Lambda, EC2, S3, SQS, SNS overall networking
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.