Senior Software Engineer, Spectrum Monitoring
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
The Advanced Signal Processing Group (ASPG) is part of Spire’s office of the CTO. This is a small, tightly knit, highly collaborative team spread across the world. Spire owns and operates over 120 nanosatellites constantly collecting RF activity across the spectrum and this team has the sole responsibility of monitoring, detecting, geolocating, and providing other actional near real-time insights. Detection of Illegal fishing, trafficking, and GNSS jammer detection and geolocation are all daily applications one can look forward to in this role.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you will create, maintain, and dictate the manner in which the Advanced Signal Processing Group develops and delivers world class RF (Radio Frequency) spectrum monitoring products. You will have the responsibility to ensure that we deliver high-quality, low-latency services and products and the freedom to pursue novel, high-impact applications. In collaboration with our satellite operation and payload teams, you will develop systems for automating, scheduling, monitoring, and delivering high impact RF collections over the globe and spectrum. Instead of your ideas and efforts sitting on a shelf or hidden in theory, you will see and experience them actually working in space within months of joining Spire.
- Develop tools and software to run scheduled RF collections across multiple types of payload platforms in orbit Design/implementation of cloud-based scheduling systems
- Develop collection monitoring systems with insightful analysis and plots
- Design/Implementation of ASPG payload operation framework in collaboration with Infrastructure team
- Design/Implementation/Maintenance of ASPG product CI/CO process
- Take responsibility of production operation of ASPG payload systems in space
Technologies we use:Python, C++, Elasticsearch/Kibana, Terraform, AWS, Kubernetes (AWS EKS)
- At least 3 years experience in a software development role
- Strong Python knowledge
- Experience in Linux system administration and system scripting
- Experience using Docker, ECS or Linux Containers in a production environment
- Developing, deploying, troubleshooting and optimizing distributed applications on cloud infrastructure, e.g. AWS
- Experience building and maintaining data pipelines
- Experience maintaining CI/CD systems
- Experience with such things as GitOps, Argo CD and Kubernetes
- Strong understanding of network principles
- Data analysis and visualization experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with configuration management (e.g. Ansible) and infrastructure as code (e.g. Terraform)
- Familiar with common Python libraries such as Flask, SQLAlchemy, etc.
- Experience in C++ or C
- Familiar with monitoring/alerting tools such as Datadog and Sentry
- Strong relational database skills
- Strong experience in AWS, such as Lambda, EC2, S3, SQS, SNS overall networking
- Experience developing software for resource constrained environments like embedded ARM devices
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Mid salary: $135,000