Space Operations Software Engineer
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
At Spire, the Space Operations Software team is responsible for preparing for this growth using software to automate mission management, improve telemetry monitoring, monitor ground station activity, and provide the tools needed to analyze constellation performance.
Software is critical to everything we do, be it the firmware that runs our software defined radios, the schedule optimization systems that route data through our network of satellites and ground stations, or big data analytics pipelines that transform observations into easily actionable information.
As a Space Operations Software Engineer, you will be working with a small, full-stack team in an agile environment. You will be developing software solutions that automate and abstract away space and ground system operations to improve operational efficiency and asset utilization. Some specific areas include:
- Develop software to provide automatic fault detection, alerting, and recovery operations for spacecraft and ground station assets.
- Build applications for monitoring ground station and satellite status and managing satellite operations leveraging data abstraction and visualization.
- Increase operational efficiency by identifying areas to automate and improve upon mission-critical systems.
Candidates should have experience designing and implementing full-stack systems. They will need to interface with the satellite operations and ground station teams to adapt user needs into system requirements.They should also have the experience to collaborate and iterate on the resultant projects.
Technologies we use:
- Backend: Python
- ORM: Django
- Databases: PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch
- Frontend: TypeScript, React, Material UI
- Infrastructure: AWS, Kubernetes
- Infrastructure-as-code: Terraform, Ansible
- CI/CD: Concourse, ArgoCD
- Articulates ideas well in both spoken and written form.
- Promotes open and effective collaboration between people and teams.
- Balances tactical and strategic decisions for overall mission success.
- Understands the value of reducing procedural toil and technical complexity.
- Values technological and operational performance with a growth mindset.
- Desire to achieve technical mastery while operating autonomously.
- At least 3 years of software engineering experience.
- Experience contributing to the architecture and design of new and existing systems.
- Experience with system and/or server-side development using Python.
- Familiarity with data backends like S3, RDS, PostgreSQL, Redis, MongoDB, and Elasticsearch.
- Familiarity with Infrastructure as Code tools such as Terraform and Ansible.
- Proficiency developing and deploying Docker containers for development and production environments.
- Experience with AWS services and/or Kubernetes orchestration.
- Experience implementing monitoring and alerting systems using tools like Grafana, Prometheus, or Nagios.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Colorado Mid range Salary: $110,000