Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
We are looking for a strategic, and hands-on VP, Product Management for the Global Data Solutions organization to build, lead and manage the product management teams across our Aviation, Maritime and Weather data businesses. Each of these businesses, and the multiple products within, is a combination of Spire Satellite data, 3rd party aggregated data, and tools for the management, ingestion, analytics and visualization of data. These data products enable our customers to optimize their businesses, increase insights, decrease risks, increase safety and ultimately to create a positive impact on the planet.
In this position you will lead the product management team across Aviation, Maritime and Weather, working closely with the Space Engineering and Data Engineering teams, along with 3rd party data providers and data tool vendors.
You will own and drive data platform strategy including APIs, data services, AI/ML services, customer/partner integrations, data management, reporting and visualization tools. You will be accountable for facilitating continuous improvements within the product organization and impacting cross-functionally across the Space Engineering, Data Engineering, customer success, marketing, product marketing and sales organizations. You will also work closely with 3rd party data providers and data tool vendors. The VP will drive the agenda for this critical pillar of our business by synthesizing revenue, cost, technical and strategic concerns into a prioritized set of platform capabilities and roadmap aligned with the Global Data Solutions vision while also ensuring the roadmap is executed effectively and efficiently.
The successful candidate is a self-starter who is able to operate in a fast-paced, innovative but constantly evolving environment; who continually invites, fosters and synthesizes diverse perspectives on needs and constraints; and who demonstrates leadership at all levels of an organization - including senior-level customers and strategic partners.
Responsibilities of Your Role:
- Define the overall platform services, API strategy, and strategic roadmap, working with Product Management and Engineering Leadership, Product Marketing, Sales Engineering and other cross-functional stakeholders in the organization.
- Maintain a deep understanding of the technical objectives of the Engineering organization, such that proposed improvements promote and extend increasing output, and drive forward the technology roadmap. Including best practices around end-user product SLA and availability
- Collaborate with the sales and marketing teams to make certain product changes are marketed, appropriate training courses and collateral are created, to provide sales and marketing teams insight to position product offerings with customers and prospects.
- Meet regularly with the Sales Engineers and Sales leadership to understand our customers’ “Time to Value” and “Total Cost of Ownership” concerns and factor their challenges and opportunities into the Product Management calculus. Make data-driven, tactical decision to maximize customers’ return on investment that enable sales expansion opportunities
- Run a world-class team. Develop and motivate top product-centric talent who are creative, collaborative, results-oriented and culturally aligned with the Global Data Solutions organization.
- Build, lead and manage a product management organization, including work allocation, goal-setting, performance management, and identifying career development opportunities.
- Provide hands-on mentoring and training for team members in process engineering best practice
- Use ‘Agile’ methodology to continuously improve every aspect of our product development process, ensuring that we consistently meet product roadmap delivery timelines
- Maintain up to date knowledge of the technology trends in the industry as well as competitor products
Qualifications / Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; MBA preferred
- 10+ years of experience in product management, 5+ years managing products or services in cloud platforms and/or SaaS at scale (including P&L leadership and/or product management leadership of multi-product portfolios)
- Minimum 3 years experience working directly with senior leadership and with customer/partner organizations
- Extensive experience defining and incubating/building API platform strategies, driving platform execution with engineering and creating partner eco-systems to build API based solutions and services
- Experience with defining and driving AI/ML platform capabilities or applied AI/ML solutions for real-time decision making.
- Proven track record in influencing large, cross-functional engineering, UX and Data Science teams to build scalable products and deliver business results.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with a proven ability to influence and build consensus across a broad range of backgrounds, organizational levels and personalities
- Expert-level product development process knowledge, with technical depth, prioritization, procedural, commercial and managerial aspects of product management
- 5+ years experience leading high performing, global product management teams, ideally in the 5-10 employee range
Strong candidates will also possess skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Familiarization with maritime, aviation, and/or weather products and solutions
- Proven experience scaling a product or service from tens of customers, to hundreds and thousands of customers
- Strong writing skills and the ability to communicate and present arguments and recommendations via the written word
- Experience working with global, distributed, multi-cultural teams, across multiple time zones