Spacecraft Hardware Lead
Spacecraft Hardware Lead
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
As a Hardware Team Lead, you will be responsible for leading a multidisciplinary team of electrical and mechanical engineers within the Platform Engineering Team. In this role, you will work closely with internal stakeholders, understanding technical requirements and ensuring the team can deliver these on time and to the correct cost and quality. In this role you will regularly collaborate with other platform teams such as software and manufacturing to ensure successful output. As Hardware Team Lead you will be the first point of contact for queries within your team therefore a strong technical background from a similar role is vital.
As an Engineering Leader at Spire, you’ll move fast, iterate quickly and solve global problems. If you love exciting technical challenges and enjoy collaborating with engineers who are changing the way the world thinks about space, satellites and data then this role may be for you.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Leading a team of engineers, ensuring milestones are delivered on time and to the correct cost and quality
- Regular collaboration with internal stakeholders to understand and deliver on technical requirements
- Development of team members (succession plans/coaching)
- Supporting peer reviews of schematics and layouts
- Specification creation and requirement gathering of spacecraft electronics
- Schematic capture and PCB Layout using Altium Designer
- Component selection and definition based on system requirements
- Board bring up, verification and debugging
- Architectural definition, systems and subsystem level design
- Documentation of design, test procedures and manufacturing instructions to hand over design and test for production team
- 3+ years of experience in a similar technical lead role with responsibility for directly managing individual contributors
- Experience in planning and executing on multiple technical projects, balancing conflicting priorities
- Electronics theory, including component knowledge and analog and digital circuitry experience
- Board design experience including schematic capture, PCB layout using any enterprise software (Altium preferred) with focus on Design for manufacturing (DFM) principles.
- Digital communication interfaces (I2C, SPI, CAN, UART, USB, LVDS, Ethernet,…)
- Knowledge of High speed digital layout design practices. (matched impedance, stackup and manufacturing restrictions)
- Experience with rigid-flex PCB design
- Strong debugging experience and fault identification
- Manufacturing experience (SMD soldering, assembly, etc)
- FPGA development (Verilog, VHDL)
- RF theory/circuitry (Power amps, filters, layout etc)
- EMC testing
- Hardware/inventory management
- Power systems (Battery, Solar Panels, etc)
- Space experience - desirable not essential
Please note that our application process includes a challenge. Our motto is 'show me the data,' so if you make it to the challenge round, you'll have time to give us your best work on a problem that lets you put your skills on display or showcase your existing portfolio.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.