Senior GNC Engineer
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
As a GNC/AOCS Engineer at Spire, you will operate as part of a technical team who maintains responsibility across the full lifecycle of its engineering products. The GNC team interfaces directly with many engineering groups to conduct R&D, design, manufacturing, and operations activities, ultimately ensuring all current and future spacecraft systems satisfy their mission.
Ideal candidates will embrace the commercialisation of nanosatellite systems and adapt to low-cost, fast-paced systems design, development, and implementation methodologies that set Spire apart from our competition. In this fast-paced environment, the design to launch cycle is measured in weeks and months, not years!
Responsibilities of your role:
- Technical ownership of current and future spacecraft attitude and orbit control software and hardware
- Design, model, analyze, integrate and operate attitude determination/estimation systems for small spacecraft
- Develop and utilize spacecraft dynamics and control simulations, including 'hardware-in-the-loop'
- Design, evaluate, select, qualify and implement flight sensors, including magnetometers, sun sensors, inertial measurement devices, infrared sensors, and/or star trackers
- Design, evaluate, select, qualify and implement flight actuators, including magnetic torque elements, reaction wheels, and propulsion systems
- Be hands-on in laboratory and manufacturing environments during testing, integration, and qualification of flight systems
- Provide support and analysis for on-orbit operations of spacecraft attitude determination and control systems
- Work with external contractors, manufacturers, and internal manufacturing staff to improve reliability, yield, performance, and cost of flight systems
Qualifications / Experience:
- Extensive experience with a solid foundation in spacecraft attitude dynamics and control algorithms, with emphasis on practical application of knowledge.
- Have experience designing and/or implementing Kalman filters for attitude estimation
- Experience with flight sensors for spacecraft attitude determination/estimation
- Experience developing software using C/Python
- Have experience or familiarity with the Linux development environment
- Have experience working with external engineering contractors
- Experience writing flight software
- Experience with C or C++ development for embedded systems
- Experience with spacecraft design
- Experience with spacecraft assembly, integration, and testing
- Experience with spacecraft operations and maintenance
- Experience identifying and resolving system anomalies
- Experience creating and maintaining integration and test campaigns for attitude determination and control systems, including hardware and software
Spire operates a hybrid work model, and this position will require you to work a minimum of three days per week in office.
Access to US export controlled software and/or technology may be required. #LI-DC1
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.