Chief Accounting Officer
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer, the Spire Global Chief Accounting Officer will serve as a key business leader and financial advisor and partner to senior management. They will also work closely with the CFO and have access and direct interaction with the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors. The CAO will be a strategic yet “roll up the sleeves” type, an extremely smart yet humble leader, with a true balance of experience, the ability to listen well, and the wisdom to anticipate issues proactively and with agility. This CAO should have the experience, gravitas, business savvy, and leadership skills of a senior business leader who influences positively, directly and indirectly across the entire company.
What You'll Do:
- Oversight of external financial reporting including filings with the SEC, managing corporate accounting policies, acquisition accounting, and technical GAAP research and analysis
- Supporting the external audit process with the company’s independent
- Oversight of the financial consolidation process and preparation of the consolidated financial statements. Lead the finance and accounting teams globally in the USA and EMEA (Glasgow, Luxembourg)
- Oversight of all technical accounting guidance provided to the business and oversight and coordination of the company’s compliance activities related to disclosure controls and procedures and internal controls over financial reporting. There will be heavy interaction with financial planning and analysis as well
- Improve upon and execute the operational plan for the global accounting and controlling
- Develop and build relationships with the leaders of each vertical within Spire with an eye toward truly understanding the business and working the issues as a business partner to operational
- Create value for the entire company by contributing as a strategic and technical partner to the CFO and CEO
- Ensure the effectiveness and adequacy of policies, procedures, and controls for the company and create new and improved mechanisms, policies, and procedures when necessary
- Ensure that internal and external accounting and reporting is in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles and that the company follows all regulatory (SEC and other) reporting requirements. They will oversee - among others - the preparation of Form 10-Q, Form 10-K and Proxy Statement
- Oversee the preparation of financial reports to provide corporate management and the Board of Directors with pertinent information on the operating results of the business units and prepare consolidated financial statements and management’s discussion and analysis for Form 10-Q and Form 10-K reporting
- The CAO has responsibility over cash management and treasury, including banking and investments, accounts receivables, collections, accounts payables, inventory and CapEx / PPE accounting. Cash Flow forecasting as well as debt and funding management will be a critical portion of the role
- Managing I/C funding and SLAs to ensure cash is adequately repatriated with a minimum tax impact will be critical for this role. Experience regarding transfer pricing and tax implications is required
- Own and improve financial systems and the transparency of the output – especially important to develop and complete implementation of The Chief Accounting Officer will have this team report to them
- Manage compliance with all local financial requirements for Spire’s overseas entities and operations including statutory filings, financial statement audits, tax audits, and non-income based tax filings
- Continuously streamline and enhance back-office systems and processes to provide superior customer service to Spire employees in the areas of payroll, expense report processing, stock administration, and the procure to pay process utilizing lowest cost alternatives
- Oversee research of technical accounting issues and be a key decision maker with respect to accounting decisions and monitor, understand, and communicate pending FASB proposals, their timing, and potential effects, in particular Topic 606
- Serve as the principal interface with the independent public accountants for the planning, coordination, and conduct of their annual audit and other services across the company and their reporting to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors
- Present to the Audit Committee of the Board of Directors on topics of special interest as well as reviews of quarterly and annual financial statements
- Develop future financial talent through training and mentoring of individuals as well as staffing and recruiting of necessary skill sets
- Consult on accounting impact of proposed strategic and commercial transactions and advise operating executives on alternative deal structures
- Interface with investor relations and assist with the development of periodic earnings release
- Define the vision and lead process redesign efforts by identifying non-value-added activities and eliminating them
- Be an active participant in the company’s international tax planning initiatives and recommend alternatives
Candidates must be hands-on, capable of providing strategic guidance to the leadership of the business and provide strategic direction for finance and accounting operations as well as inspire associates globally, in the U.S., Europe and Asia, to perform at their full potential. The ideal candidate is a CPA and or Masters in Accounting or Finance, possesses excellent management and leadership skills with the ability to provide clear direction to the finance staff while also functioning as an individual contributor and adding value to the growth of the business.
- Recent experience as a senior level finance and accounting professional at a public company is
- A minimum of eight years of financial experience including recent and relevant roles as CAO, controller, or business unit controller.
- High degree of business and technical proficiency, judgment, and leadership
- CPA required with Big 4 experience
- Experience with various software and SaaS revenue
- Must be able to operate independently with good judgment and a strong will to achieve results in a timely manner.
- Experience with scaling a growth business in technology from a team build, process improvement, and a systems perspective.
- Experience with systems
- Must be able to operate in an extremely open and collaborative culture and working
- Strong knowledge of SEC reporting requirements and software and SaaS revenue
- Proven success in leading significant process improvements to the monthly close
- Direct experience with enterprise software applications and participation in strategic decisions around system improvements.
- Experience managing diverse international teams and running a global shared service center in a remote location.
- Demonstrated ability to stay current with emerging trends and relevant accounting pronouncements that impacts accounting and financial reporting.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, fast paced, and fast-growing company where adaptability is
- Demonstrated skills in supervising, coaching staff, and creating high performing
- Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills which will allow ready establishment of credibility and acceptance by the leadership team and peers.
- Ability to clearly articulate in verbal and written communications, willingness to appropriately debate difficult issues, and the ability to think quickly and present to an audience.
- Self-motivated, innovative, and ability to initiate and lead
- Highest professional standards and an impeccable record of integrity and honesty
Spire operates a hybrid work model and this position will require you to work a minimum of 3 days per week in our Washington, DC office.
Access to US export controlled software and/or technology may be required.
What You Can Expect:
The anticipated base salary range for this position is $225,000 to $265,000. In addition to base compensation, this role may be eligible for annual equity awards and our employee benefits program, including vacation, sick, and personal time off; optional medical, dental, vision, life, and disability coverage; a 401(K) plan; health and wellness reimbursement program; and participation in Spire’s Employee Stock Purchase Plan.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.