Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Spire’s Constellation Scheduling team builds and operates the automated systems which run our constellation. We balance the competing needs of internal and external customers across all of our satellites and ground stations to balance efficiency, reliability, and cost of operations.
As a software engineer on the Constellation Scheduling team, you’ll help build these systems and their APIs. Among these, you may find yourself working on scheduling spacecraft communications, orbital maneuvers, and data collection operations. You will learn how to run simulations and predict future constellation behavior to support our customers and systems engineering teams. Working with our satellite operations team, you will develop user-friendly, highly automated control systems to help manage our constellation as it grows. Additionally, you will have many opportunities to dig into Spire technologies through partnerships with other teams, including our platform engineering and constellation pipeline groups.
You will be part of a small, nimble, and autonomous team, yet have access to resources of the rest of Spire’s 150+ person engineering organization including SREs, security engineers, and infrastructure tooling. We believe very strongly in supporting developers to do their best work. Our team leans heavily into automation with a GitOps-based continuous delivery development methodology, extensive test coverage, and a type-driven development style.
Technologies we use include:
- Kubernetes (AWS EKS)
- 3 years of experience as a software engineer, or an undergraduate degree in a related field such as Computer Science, Electronics Engineering, Aerospace Engineering or Mathematics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong grasp of discrete mathematics and first-order logic.
- Demonstrated ability to understand complex systems and reason about their behavior.
The list below includes things that we would love to see in a candidate:
- Coursework or professional experience in operations research or optimization.
- Aerospace background, to include orbital mechanics, radio and optical communications, propulsion systems, or systems engineering.
- Experience with Rust, C++, Ocaml, or Python.
- Experience with Mixed Integer Linear Programming tools such as CPLEX or Gurobi.
- Experience with Kubernetes, CI/CD pipelines, and debugging operational application issues.
- In-depth knowledge of API design principles and best practices, caching strategies, and designing for resiliency and scalability.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.