Software Engineer, Weather Products
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth. We develop products providing public and private sector customers a uniquely precise understanding of what’s happening in the world in areas such as weather, air traffic, shipping, and more.
We’re looking for a Software Engineer to join our Weather Product Engineering team and help take our forecast assessment infrastructure to another level. You’ll have the opportunity to make a real impact on our products and infrastructure as we continue to grow our portfolio of data and services.
Duties / Responsibilities:
- Have a customer- and product-driven focus and mindset
- Design, implement, maintain, document and collaborate on workflows for our data processing and analysis pipelines used to assess our forecasting solutions and systems
- Provide development and operational support for customer-facing tools and applications
- Develop innovative data management and automation solutions operating at the intersection of high-performance computing and cloud-native environments
- Deliver when it counts with a collaborative spirit
Qualifications / Experience:
- 5+ years of professional software development experience
- Experience designing and implementing scientific workflows and data management strategies
- Proficiency with Python and Linux
- Demonstrated experience working with large scientific datasets (10s of terabytes or more)
- History of work in a mission-critical or operational environment
Strong candidates will also possess skills in one or more of the following:
- Education or professional background in meteorology or oceanography
- Prior work experience in high-performance computing environments
- Solid understanding of data wrangling with Python tools such as NumPy and Pandas and more traditional Unix CLI tools
- Experience working with geospatial technologies and common meteorological data formats such as NetCDF and GRIB
- Have experience with large-scale, high-performance systems in a complex, multi-tiered, distributed environment
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.