Software Developer, Space Program
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Spire’s Space Services API team develops the interfaces used by our customers to design, test, deploy and operate space-based software applications. In some cases these applications run on standard Spire hardware, and in some cases on hosted payloads custom-designed by us or our customers.
As a software engineer on the Space Services APIs team, you’ll help develop and maintain our customer facing APIs both on the satellite and on the ground. This currently includes interfacing with our disruption tolerant networking stack for both space to ground and inter-satellite links, our satellite bus and ground services that allow customers to task their satellite payloads and upload code and configuration.
You’ll also help drive the product forward by developing new features and services to help customers more easily onboard onto the service and scale their payload constellation.
You will interface with the product function and our technical program managers to develop elegant technical solutions to customer needs together with a team of developers distributed between Europe and the US. Key engineering partners include the constellation pipeline team, the constellation optimization team, the satellite platform team, and the program managers.
You will be part of a nimble and autonomous team, yet have access to resources of the rest of Spire’s 150+ person engineering organization including SREs, security engineers, and infrastructure tooling.
Technologies we use:
- Kubernetes (AWS EKS)
- At least 3 years of experience as a software engineer
- Developing and deploying distributed applications on AWS, Azure, or GCP.
- Professional experience working in at least one interpreted language.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Nice To Have or Interest In
The list below includes things that we would love to see in a candidate:
- Experience developing software for resource constrained environments like embedded ARM devices
- Experience writing Python
- Experience writing C++
- Experience with Kubernetes, CI/CD pipelines, and debugging operational application issues.
- Experience building and maintaining data pipelines
- In-depth knowledge of API design principles and best practices, caching strategies, and designing for resiliency and scalability.
- Strong relational and non-relational database skills.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.