Technical Sales Engineer, Federal
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
As a Technical Sales Engineer focused on our Space Services offering, you will join a growing team responsible for providing unique space-based solutions to the US Federal Government. You will engage directly with the Spire Account Executives and Federal customer base to understand operational requirements, qualify opportunities, and form space-driven solutions. You will collaborate closely with your Sales Engineering colleagues and the Space Program team to develop customer-driven solutions that leverage Spire’s small satellite platforms, payloads, and global infrastructure.
The role of Technical Sales Engineer requires a deep understanding of the Spire technology stack and roadmap. With an emphasis on our Space Services offering, you will have intimate knowledge of the satellite subsystems, payload capabilities, and system interfaces critical to customers seeking to deploy systems onto our network. Successful candidates will have a good balance of technical experience in small satellite systems engineering along with strong communications skills and experience in customer-facing roles.
- Work as part of a small team to provide technical support throughout the sales cycle, supporting pre-sales discussions with Space Services customers to assess requirements and recommend the best possible solutions.
- Serve as the primary technical POC for the Space Services customer throughout the sales cycle and onboarding process.
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations and reports explaining Spire’s products and services to prospective customers.
- Collaborate closely with cross-functional teams and subject matter experts within the organization to assess feasibility of customer-driven solutions, refine scope and technical details of complex space mission programs, and generally represent the voice and requirements of the customer within the organization throughout the sales cycle.
- Serve as a primary liaison between the sales and internal engineering teams and provide routine product updates and training to the sales staff.
- Support the sales team in the development of technical proposals and generating or sourcing technical content specific to the customer’s application or problem set in a timely manner to ensure customer deadlines and sales objectives are met.
- Work closely with the sales team and product managers to identify gaps in current capabilities to drive the technology roadmap and enhance the product offering.
- Support initial Space Services program execution through the System Requirements Review, providing systems engineering support to document customer requirements and ensure a seamless transition from sales to execution.
- 4+ years of experience in a customer-facing technical role
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant Engineering (e.g. Aerospace, Mechanical, Electrical, Systems), Computer Science, Physics, or equivalent combination of technical and work experience
- US Citizen
Strong candidates will also possess skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Experience in satellite mission design, development, and testing with a clear understanding of major mission design trades and scope drivers (power / payload duty cycle, communications systems / data budgets, ground stations, launch and environmental loads, EMI/EMC, thermal management, etc).
- Knowledge of satellite design and orbital simulation software (e.g. AGI STK).
- Experience with mechanical systems design and autocad software (e.g. Solidworks).
- Familiarity with satellite-based remote sensing and Earth observations techniques.
- Familiarity with the radio frequency (RF) spectrum with experience calculating link budgets for RF payload receivers.
- Experience in application or script development (preferably Python).
- Experience writing technical reports and proposals.
- Strong interpersonal skills for building relationships with clients and effectively communicating with other members of cross-functional teams.
- Strong comprehension skills to enable timely understanding of complex customer requirements and identification of thorough and sometimes unique solutions.
- Active US Government Security Clearance
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills, and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.