Millimetre-Wave Systems Engineer
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Spire’s Microwave Technologies team is responsible for the development of advanced microwave sensing systems, designed to measure climate and weather profiles in the atmosphere. The team is responsible from design, through implementation and launch.
The path for this technology is towards a space borne constellation, integrated into Spire’s platform to support of global Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) and climate modelling customers globally as well as Spire’s in house weather forecasting models. The data will ultimately be integrated seamlessly into a range of forecasting and modelling systems, improving global weather forecasting capability. This will unlock a host of downstream benefits including improved forecasts of extreme weather events.
As a result of the above, Spire is seeking a Microwave Systems Engineer to join a cutting edge, multidisciplinary team focused on advancing the design, development, and deployment of next-generation spaceborne radiometer systems. The downstream applications for the technology span a multitude of sectors including weather and climate remote sensing, navigation, and situational awareness, as well as enabling the most capable weather intelligence platform in the world. As a Microwave Systems Engineer at Spire, you will play a critical role in hardware and sensor development through work including development, execution, and documentation of complex hardware design and test systems; growing/enabling the hardware test capabilities of Spire; and ultimately validating systems for operational deployment across space environments.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Support in the design of mmwave components designed and qualified for flight, through use of simulation tools such as Ansys HFSS andKeysight ADS
- Hands on development in the lab to prototype and test microwave sensing systems
- Work independently and understands core microwave principles and design elements to investigate/carry out root cause analyse on microwave hardware.
- Support both test and analysis of subsystems and integrated microwave sensor as well as supporting design and modification of microwave sounding payload.
- Design and document test plans, procedures, protocols, and scripts to assess, qualify, & verify performance of digital, analog & microwave hardware to meet system requirements.
- Setup and build testing fixtures and apparatus.
- Complete tests of subsystems & systems and analyze & document Provide feedback, recommendations, and design modifications to overcome design limitations and improve performance and testing.
- Oversee laboratory technicians and staff and track laboratory equipment calibration and supplies.
- First degree education in electronic engineering or physics.
- Experience in microwave, millimetre-wave test and measurement equipment and methods.
- Ability to work in a laboratory environment either on an individual basis or as a part of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to prepare and contribute towards project related documentation.
- Track record of microwave, millimetre-wave technical design and development at device and/or system level including use of simulation software such as HFSS, ADS, GRASP etc. Track record of achieving successful microwave/millimetre-wave project deliverables.
- Prepared to undertake project deliverable responsibility.
Preferred Qualifications / Experience:
- Higher degree qualification (MSc or PhD).
- Knowledge of heterodyne systems and related core component technology.
- Knowledge of spaceflight compliancy requirements and related component test and measurement experience.
- Experience in python programming for test automation and data investigation
- Experience in the use of data manipulation and visualization packages e.g., Python packages,
- A high level of written and oral presentation and communication skills.
Spire operates a hybrid work model and this position will require you to work a minimum of 3 days per week in our Harwell office.
Access to US export-controlled software and/or technology may also be required.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.