Senior PNT Engineer
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Spire’s Research & Development (R&D) team is growing a portfolio of position, navigation, and time (PNT) products that look to position Spire as a leading provider of alternate PNT for commercial, government, and civil applications.
The desired PNT Engineer candidate will join this team as the subject matter expert on Spire's existing and future PNT systems. This candidate will be capable of leading system development efforts necessary to propose, design, verify, and implement systems with complex embedded real-time processing as it pertains to precision position, navigation, and time.
As a Spire employee, you will have the responsibility to ensure that we deliver high-quality, low-latency services and products and the freedom to pursue novel, high-impact applications. Instead of your ideas and efforts sitting on a shelf or hidden in an academic journal, you will see and experience them actually working in space within months of joining Spire.
- A technical group leader capable of leading PNT system design, build, testing/validation, and implementation phases
- Functioning as the subject matter expert (SME) of current and future Spire PNT systems
- Driving Spire technological roadmaps in system-level design and implementation of real-time LEO PNT solutions.
- Interacting with multidisciplinary, international teams for the purpose of system design and product development
- Comprehensively and succinctly describing simulation/test results in both written and verbal manners
- Authors or substantially contributes to proposals, documentation, and procedures for internal and external customers.
- Applicants must have either an MSc or Ph.D. degree in aerospace engineering, electrical engineering, mathematics, or another field related to PNT
- Demonstrated technical leadership and design responsibility on developed PNT systems
- Knowledge of firmware design on FPGAs and software development on embedded processors
- Expertise in conducting and analyzing both analytic and hardware-in-the-loop tests
- Hands-on design experience with hardware including radio frequency (RF) and digital components
- Deep experience with GPS theory and architecture concerning the space segment, signal interface, and receiver (user) segment
- Expertise in existing and emergent PNT technologies including:
- Advanced clocks and timing devices
- Time Transfer Methodologies
- Inertial guidance systems
- Alternative PNT methods
- Expertise in Hardware Serial Communications, distribution of network time protocol (NTP) and reference signals
- Demonstrated expertise in C, C++ programming languages with DSP applications
- Experience writing technical reports and proposals.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.