Director of Operations
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
We are looking for a collaborative leader to manage our operations team across our global offices. As Director of Operations, you will have the opportunity to lead an all-star team of satellite and data operations engineers and software engineers as we continue to operate through an SRE model of support and automation. You will sit at the nexus of products, balancing operational outputs to maximize utilization of the constellation-produced data. But most importantly, you’ll have the chance to make an impact in an industry that is redefining the art of what is possible.
The ideal candidate will be a natural contributor able to put their ego aside, that has a passion for Spire’s mission of using space-collected data to better understand our world. Strong leadership skills that can inspire teams to be focused and reliable will be essential in tackling the unique challenges of the space arena.
Responsibilities of your role:
- Lead the operations and software tools teams into a future of fully autonomous operations that scales with the constellation and increases overall efficiency and performance.
- Coach managers as they lead and grow their teams.
- Collaborate with internal business units and product leads to determine their operational requirements balancing these competing requirements with the available on-orbit assets.
- Own Service Level Objectives (SLOs) for on-orbit production that meet strategic reliability, availability, and lifetime requirements.
- Collaborate with internal engineering teams to define operational architectures and controls.
- Own the processes that provide 24/7 monitoring and support to internal teams and their systems as well as external customers.
- Drive architecture of operational tooling across the company.
- Responsible for vision casting, project management (cost, schedule, risk), resource planning and prioritization.
- International and domestic travel required
- Experience leading an Operations team, including 24/7, zero downtime and/or mission critical systems
- 4+ years experience growing and leading strategy functions at a recognized PaaS, aerospace, or similar company.
- 10+ years combined experience developing software and building SRE teams.
- Experience career coaching and mentoring
- Comfortable working with mission critical and remote systems, making decisions with limited data, based on telemetry
- Experience with agile development processes and tools
- Experience managing distributed / global teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently, yet in a collaborative environment.
- Sense of humor.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Salary range starts at $166,000