Senior DSP Engineer
The Signal Processing Systems Team is part of Spire’s office of the CTO. Spire owns and operates over 120 nanosatellites constantly collecting RF activity across the spectrum and this team has the responsibility of developing RF payloads to support spectrum monitoring, geolocation, and other signal intelligence projects. Detection and characterisation of cooperative and non-cooperative emitters as well as the geolocation of these types of signals are all daily applications one can look forward to in this role.
As a Senior DSP Engineer, you will:
- Develop the signal processing algorithms and codes to turn raw RF sensor measurements into valuable products for a wide variety of global customers.
- Translate, augment, and implement prototyped algorithms into productionized ideas for use on the data processing pipeline as well as on on-orbit.
- Work in a small team that will iteratively expedite the design and validation of ground-based solutions as well as onboard real-time processing on Spire’s constellation.
- Have the responsibility to ensure that Spire delivers high-quality, low-latency services and products and the freedom to pursue novel, high-impact applications.
In collaboration with other teams, you will implement algorithms for automating, monitoring, and delivering high impact RF insights over the globe and spectrum. Instead of your ideas and efforts sitting on a shelf or hidden in theory, you will see and experience them working in space within months of joining Spire.
- Conceive and scope projects based on services such as signal detection, acquisition, and geolocation derived from raw data sets collected by satellites
- Develop algorithms using matched filter processing for the detection and extraction of both known and unknown signal types
- Develop tools and codes to characterize raw RF data sets (SNR, modulation type, etc.)
- Help with the development of RF geolocation algorithms
- Analyze existing data sets and plan future campaigns to collect new data sets based on customer requirements
- Help support implementing real-time DSP algorithms and testing them on a custom embedded board (signal detection and tracking algorithms, FFTs, correlation of signals, Doppler mapping etc.)
- Help with the testing of DSP algorithms to verify they meet execution requirements, mathematical correctness, and stable runtime operation
- Applicants must have either an MSc or PhD degree in aerospace engineering, electrical engineering, mathematics, or another field related to signal processing or geolocation services
- 5+ years development experience with Matlab/Python and efficient software programming in C/C++
- Development experience with signal processing algorithms (FFT, correlation, Doppler maps etc.)
- Experience with detection, classification, and estimation techniques and theory
- Scripting Familiarity: Python, Bash, etc.
Preferred Qualifications / experience:
- Advanced signal processing techniques for detecting and characterizing a priori unknown signal structures
- Demonstrated experience working with satellite-based PNT, L-band signals and systems
- RF programming (SDR, USRP, GNU radio)
- Experience with ARM platforms running Linux (Yocto or similar)
- Experience interacting with common SDR components and high-speed FPGA interfaces
- Experience using Docker, ECS or Linux Containers in a production environment
- High level command of development tools like git, Github, CI/CD tools
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.