Lead Software Engineer
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Spire Global is seeking a senior software engineer with experience in technical and scientific domains. The primary focus of this position is to support the development of innovative weather-related products based upon Global Navigation Satellite System - Radio Occultation (GNSS-RO) soundings from Spire’s unique satellite constellation and supporting Spire’s corresponding Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) capabilities.
The candidate will join the weather software engineering team to develop and support weather prediction products built on complex scientific-software workflows in an all-cloud Infrastructure as a Service/High Performance Computing as a Service (IaaS/HPCaaS) environment.
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated engineer to work on a customer-focused development team that is leveraging an unprecedented large volume of GNSS-RO satellite data to create superior weather forecast products. The successful candidate will join the weather team at the Spire branch office in Luxembourg.
Responsibilities of your role:
- The successful candidate will work with Spire weather team software engineers, scientists, and product development staff to improve quality and robustness of Spire’s forecast products running 24x7 on a mix of IaaS and HPCaaS resources.
- Focus will be on meeting customer requirements and on addressing new customer requirements as they emerge.
- Responsibilities will include collaborating with other engineers and scientists in the following areas:
- Provide software engineering support for design, implementation, and ongoing improvement of scientific-software packages used to create our products.
- Work closely with science staff to guide their adoption of software engineering best practices to reduce costs and risks as well as accelerating the transition from research and development to operations.
- Automate product verification and validation.
- Develop production workflows.
- Manage deployments onto cloud-based IaaS and HPCaaS platforms.
- Assist with evaluations of HPCaaS vendor offerings.
- As the Luxembourg branch of the weather software engineering team grows, provide day-to-day supervision and mentoring of new hires and manage communication with the rest of the team in Boulder, Colorado, USA.
- BS degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent working experience.
- Familiarity with GNU/Linux.
- Strong Python skills, including packaging/deployment (conda, PyPI) experience and exposure to the scientific Python stack (NumPy, Anaconda).
- Experience supporting software development in scientific/technical domains.
- Experience working in cross-functional teams.
- Commitment to modern software engineering best practices: Agile methodologies, revision-control systems (git), testing & code quality tools (unittest, Pylint), continuous integration (Travis, Bitbucket Pipelines), configuration-management tools (Puppet, Ansible).
- Proven ability to work as part of a collaborative software-development team.
- Experience leading a small software development team.
- MS or ME in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field.
- Experience with compiled languages (Fortran, C, C++) and scientific/numeric applications.
- Experience with cloud platforms (AWS, etc.).
- Experience with numerical weather prediction, weather applications, and/or data formats.
- Experience with HPC and job schedulers (Slurm, MOAB/Torque).
- Experience with machine learning software packages such as TensorFlow/PyTorch.
- Experience with parallel programming frameworks such as MPI, OpenMP, and MapReduce.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.