Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Spire’s Earth Observations and GNSS Team is growing a portfolio of Earth observations products ranging from atmospheric profiles and surface soil moisture to space weather monitoring. Our current products rely on unique measurements collected by our growing constellation of nanosatellites. The Position, Navigation, Time (PNT) Engineer will join this team to expand into applications requiring precise navigation, timing, and geolocation expertise.
As a PNT Engineer, you will work across the various disciplines of satellite remote sensing and data analysis, signal processing, and geolocation services. You will work with the world’s premier nanosatellite Earth observations and GNSS team to develop products harnessing our unique software-defined payloads. You will develop the PNT algorithms and codes to turn GNSS and other payload measurements into valuable products for a wide variety of global customers, and these products will lead the field in PNT applications from commercial nanosatellites. You will have the responsibility to ensure that we deliver high-quality, low-latency PNT-based services and products and the freedom to pursue novel, high-impact applications. And instead of your ideas and efforts sitting on a shelf or hidden in an academic journal, you will see and experience them actually working in space within months of joining Spire.
- Conceives and scopes projects based on PNT services such as signal detection, acquisition, and geolocation derived from raw data sets collected by satellites.
- Develops tools and codes to characterize raw data sets, including signal processing of known and unknown signal types with the intent to characterize the radio frequency environment and geolocate signals of interest.
- Develops geolocation algorithms such as TDOA, FDOA, and other novel techniques that can be applied to single and multi-receiver configurations.
- Contributes to system-level design of LEO PNT solutions.
- Analyzes existing data sets and plans future campaigns to collect new data sets based on customer requirements.
- Authors or substantially contributes to proposals, documentation, and procedures for internal and external customers.
- Applicants must have either an MSc or Ph.D. degree in aerospace engineering, electrical engineering, mathematics, or another field related to PNT services.
- Demonstrated experience programming for signal processing and geolocation applications and analysis.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Python (prefered) or Matlab for analysis.
- Demonstrated geolocation and signal processing experience, preferably using satellite-based observations.
- Demonstrated experience working satellite-based PNT (e.g., GNSS) signals and systems.
- Demonstrated experience coding for production environments.
- Advanced signal processing techniques for detecting and characterizing a priori unknown signal structures.
- Knowledge and research experience in satellite remote sensing.
- Understanding of research and techniques in processing geoscience data.
- Experience with coding for GPUs and other compute-intensive platforms.
- Proficiency in C or C++ programming.
- Strong Linux and open-source background.
- Experience writing technical reports and proposals.
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
($107,000 - $144,000)
Benefits include: Stock Options - 401k - Unbounded vacation & flexible working hours - Name Your Satellite Program - Education Assistance Program - Gym reimbursement - Referral bonus (based on the benefits document)