Software Engineer, HPC
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Spire Global is seeking a software engineer to support its development of weather-related products based upon Global Navigation Satellite System Radio Occultation (GNSS-RO) soundings from its unique satellite constellation.
The candidate will join the Spire Weather team to develop and support customer-facing weather-prediction products built on complex scientific-software workflows in an all-cloud Infrastructure as aService (IaaS) / High-Performance Computing as a Service (HPCaaS) context.
This is an exciting opportunity for a motivated engineer to work on a customer-focused development team that is leveraging an unprecedented large volume of GNSS-RO satellite data to create superior weather forecast products. The successful candidate will join the weather team at the Spire branch office in Boulder, Colorado, USA.
Responsibilities of your role:
- The successful candidate will work on the Spire weather software engineering team to continue development of Spire weather products based on our in-house Numerical Weather Prediction (NWP) modeling capability and to improve robustness and monitoring of automated operational workflows running 24x7 on a mix of IaaS and HPCaaS resources.
- Focus will be on meeting customer requirements and SLAs. Responsibilities will include collaborating with other engineers, scientists, and operations staff in the following areas:
- Develop new NWP capabilities building upon tools and techniques already in 24x7 operations to support Spire’s NWP product suites
- Participate in iterations of design, implementation, test, refactoring, and feedback (from customers and other project staff)
- Serve as the Spire Weather Team’s primary expert on HPC applications and systems
- Serve as primary point of contact with existing HPCaaS/IaaS vendors
- Evaluate and benchmark new HPCaaS/IaaS product offerings for use in our 24x7 operations
- Prepare Requests for Proposals documentation, serve as vendor Point of Contact for HPCaaS/Iaas procurements, and contribute to the selection of winning proposals
- Tune performance of NWP applications on HPCaaS/IaaS platforms
- Track Spire’s HPCaaS/IaaS spend on weather operations and R&D and provide estimated monthly spend to Finance
- Develop and refine approaches to optimize Spire’s HPCaaS/IaaS spend on weather operations and R&D
- BS degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering or equivalent working experience
- 5+ years of experience with HPC software development
- Experience with HPC job schedulers (Slurm, MOAB/Torque)
- Experience with HPC software stacks
- Experience with parallel programming frameworks such as MPI and OpenMP
- Familiarity with GNU/Linux and shells (e.g. bash)
- Python skills, including packaging/deployment (conda, PyPI) experience
- Commitment to modern software engineering best practices: Agile methodologies, revision control systems, testing & code quality tools, continuous integration, configuration-management tools
- Interest in supporting (monitor/troubleshoot/correct) complex workflows on hybrid HPCaaS/IaaS cloud platforms, and to help refine and document related procedures
- Proven ability to contribute to a complex software development effort and deliver solutions that meet customer needs on schedule
- Proven ability to work as part of a collaborative software development team
Strong candidates will also possess skills in one or more of the following areas:
- Experience with NWP concepts, applications, software stacks, data formats, and commonly-used languages (Fortran, C)
- Experience with HPC system hardware and system administration
- Experience with with profiling and debugging NWP code
- Experience with build systems (make, CMake, Autotools, Spack)
- Experience working with scientific teams
- Exposure to scientific Python stack (NumPy, Anaconda)
- Experience with IaaS cloud platforms (AWS, etc.)
- General familiarity with meteorological concepts
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Salary range - $177,000