Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
As a Mechanical Engineer, you will be designing and analysing the mechanical systems and payloads for our next-generation nano-satellites. You will work on a variety of satellite missions, and will be intimately involved in vehicle design, test equipment design, satellite assembly, and mechanical environmental testing.
The role will include the design of satellite structures and mechanisms, thermal and structural analysis, working with 3rd party manufacturers, and interfacing with electrical and software teams. The ideal candidate will be able to work effectively as part of a fast-paced multidisciplinary team to achieve a common goal. They will have a hands-on, collaborative approach to problem solving, ensuring that projects are delivered on time with a critical attention to detail.
Scope of the role:
- Mechanical design of spacecraft components and assemblies using SolidWorks
- Prototyping and testing mechanical and electro-mechanical systems
- Preparation of detailed system documentation
- Test fixture and ground support equipment development and deployment
- Analysis of structural, thermal, and thermoelastic load cases
- Peer reviews of mechanical drawings
- Qualification of satellite subsystems and full satellites
- Providing production support to the manufacturing team
- Assisting other team members from multiple disciplines achieve their goals
Basic Qualifications / Experience
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent course or work experience
- Precision machined parts design (including material & coating selection)
- Mechanical analysis using hand calculations and FEA
- CAD design and drafting experience
- Experience modelling mechanical systems in Excel, Matlab, or Python
- Excellent written and verbal communication
Preferred Qualifications / Experience
- Environmental testing (vibration, thermal, thermal-vacuum)
- Design for manufacture and assembly (DFMA) principles
- Solidworks Simulation or equivalent FEA package
- Thermal and thermoelastic analysis of mechanical systems
- Electromagnetic compatibility and EMI shielding
- Mechanical inspection techniques
- Electronics theory (communication interfaces, PCB layout principles)
- Basic software skills (C, python, scripting)
- Aerospace experience (desirable not essential)
Please note that our application process includes a challenge. Our motto is 'show me the data,' so if you make it to the challenge round, you'll have time to give us your best work on a problem that lets you put your skills on display or showcase your existing portfolio
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.