Earth Observations Processing Software Engineer
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Spire’s Earth Observations Team is growing a portfolio of Earth observations products ranging from atmospheric profiles and derived weather observations to space weather monitoring. Our current products rely on unique measurements collected by our growing constellation of nanosatellites. The Earth Observations Processing Software Engineer will design and implement new capabilities for the Spire Processing Center, interface with scientists to operationalize products, and work with the Operations Team to monitor system performance.
As an Earth Observations Processing Software Engineer, you will have the unique opportunity to be a part of a small and efficient team to develop, extend, and improve the Spire Earth observations data ground processing pipeline. You will be integrated in the design, implementation, and continual improvement of Spire's Processing Center for processing a variety of Earth observations data. You will develop the framework primarily in Python and implement it using cloud computing infrastructure deployed via a CI/CD pipeline. Scaling the processing pipeline is a must, as Spire has ambitious plans to maintain a constellation of over 100 satellites within the next few years. A test-driven approach in the design and implementation is crucial for the system to operate reliably and continuously. This is an exciting opportunity to work with data derived on orbit, hundreds of kilometers above Earth's surface!
Responsibilities of your role:
- Develop and maintain processing pipelines in Python along with Amazon Web Services (AWS) infrastructure
- Architect scalable solutions to facilitate additional Earth observation datasets within the Spire Processing Center
- Validate new and existing functionality using a variety of testing paradigms
- Find and resolve processing pipeline deficiencies to maintain a highly reliable production system
- Support scientists in implementing Earth observation algorithms and iterate on changes and potential improvements
- Maintain a production environment vital in supporting Spire's growing customer base
- Gather requirements from stakeholders and ensure contractual data deliveries are met
- B.S./M.S. in a STEM field (or equivalent experience)
- 3+ years of professional software development
- 2+ years experience in Python, Go, Java, or C++.
- Cloud Computing Infrastructure (AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.)
- SQL/NoSQL database design
- CI/CD pipelines and containerization (i.e. Jenkins, Docker)
- Test driven development
- Version control systems (Git)
- Strong communication and collaboration skills in a diverse team environment
- Ability to work on a hybrid remote schedule out of our Boulder, CO location
- Distributed computing systems/container orchestration
- Data analysis using tools such as Pandas
- Infrastructure as Code (i.e. Terraform, CloudFormation)
- Database performance optimization
- Python expertise
- Experience with data-intensive applications, including ingesting and analyzing large quantities of remote sensing data from various sources with stringent low latency constraints
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.
Mid Salary: $135,000