Software Engineer, Maritime
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
Our products are data analytics APIs consumed by businesses, governments, and nonprofits alike who seek best-in-class information on weather, maritime activity, aviation activity, or are looking to leverage our space program to launch and operate custom hardware.
Scope of the role:
- Own the design, implementation, testing, and operation of the code that analyzes, integrates, and serves Spire’s real-time and historical aviation, maritime, and weather data
- Industrialize the data processing and analytical pipelines that process the satellite and third-party terrestrial data that our customers use
- Work across Spire aviation, maritime, weather, and orbital services teams to improve and scale our product to higher throughput, deeper insights, and more customers, all while making it more secure and reliable
- Contribute to data products that have a large social impact: weather monitoring, ship and aircraft tracking, and more
- Join a collaborative, fast-moving, high-functioning team that values on-time delivery and a wide variety of expertise: backend services, distributed and streaming data analysis, CI/CD, infrastructure, operations, etc.
- Leverage Spire’s 150-person engineering organization, including SREs, security engineers, and PaaS tooling, to accelerate the team’s delivery velocity
- Work in a technical domain—space—that is different from a run of the mill web app
- Highly collaborative team player who values shared code ownership, testing, documentation, code reviews, and supporting customers, both internal and external
- 4+ years working experience in software engineering
- Computer science degree or equivalent work experience
- Experience with compiled and interpreted languages
- Experience owning full-lifecycle software development: requirement gathering, development, testing, delivery, monitoring, and incident response
Preferred Qualifications / Experience:
- Domain flexibility, good communication skills, and preference for simple, robust solutions
- Effective written communications
- Experience with a variety of compiled and dynamic languages and runtimes, particularly Java, JVM, Go, Docker, TypeScript, and Node
- Experience with distributed systems and high-throughput data analysis, e.g., Kafka, Hadoop, and Flink
- High understanding of algorithms and data structures
- Highly detailed oriented and completeness driven; won’t stop until it’s done properly
- Drive to keep your skills and knowledge of software development and delivery up to date, and incorporate those learnings into your day-to-day work
- Ability to see the big picture, understand where the world is heading, and instinctively know the right way to do things
- Ability to work across multiple teams with a variety of experience and expertise to produce solutions that are mutually agreeable resolutions to technical issues
- Hands on DevOps experience. Familiarly with services and tools like AWS, Kubernetes, Docker, Terraform, Concourse, Argo CD, etc.
- Product mentality: figure out how to maximize value and deliver that to the customer
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.