Spacecraft Automation Engineer, Payload (GNSS-RO)
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
The GNSS payload team seeks to hire a new member to take care of all the work-load associated to the maintenance of all the GNSS payloads that Spire has on-orbit .
As a spacecraft automation engineer at Spire, you will be part of a close-knit team that is laser-focused on providing high-quality weather data to customers around the globe. You will write software that monitors and safeguards the operation of the GNSS radio-occultation (RO) payload in each of Spire’s nanosatellites, ensuring that we will be able to scale to a full constellation of more than 100 satellites delivering 100,000 RO weather profiles each day. Through this, you can positively impact people's lives and the society by improving weather forecast and providing data that are crucial for monitoring the changing climate.
Responsibilities of your role
Your day-to-day tasks will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Preparation and deployment of GNSS payload software on-orbit updates.
- Investigating and mitigating on-orbit payload anomalies that are escalated to the engineering team.
- Maintenance of a database of on-orbit software updates that is paired with the GNSS payload software & hardware versions across the Spire constellation.
- Supporting / guiding the GNSS payload checkout operations during the satellite commissioning period after each launch through data analysis, visualization, and detailed documentation (There are multiple launch campaigns every year).
- Design, implement, test, and deploy a system that monitors the GNSS payload's operation status, observation performance, and anomalies.
- Design, implement, test, and deploy a configuration management system for the GNSS payload to realize smooth and flexible operation of the constellation of satellites.
- Design, implement, test, and deploy a data management system for the GNSS payload to allow anyone in the company to easily and timely access downlinked data and data produced by ground tests.
- Creating and maintaining tools that enable the successful completion of all aforementioned duties.
Fluent in Python and motivated to learn/apply best practices:
- Experience with cloud services such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) or Google Cloud Platform (GCP), and the ability to manage, end-to-end, the design, implementation, and deployment of cloud-based services and applications (using terraform and other infrastructure-as-code methods), or is highly motivated to pick these skills up on-the-job.
- Experience with setting up / managing CI systems (Concourse, Jenkins, etc).
- Linux system administration and shell scripting skills.
- Basic knowledge of strongly-typed languages such as C, C++, Go, Java, or Rust.
- Detail-oriented personality; careful, methodological, and persistent in tracking down problems.
- Motivation for automating the in-orbit operation and the on-ground data processing of the GNSS
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.