Spacecraft Electronics Engineer
Spire Global is a space-to-cloud analytics company that owns and operates the largest multi-purpose constellation of satellites. Its proprietary data and algorithms provide the most advanced maritime, aviation, and weather tracking in the world. In addition to its constellation, Spire’s data infrastructure includes a global ground station network and 24/7 operations that provide real-time global coverage of every point on Earth.
As a Senior Spacecraft Electronics Engineer, you will be designing and integrating custom components for our next-generation satellite platform while working on cutting-edge technology and constantly pushing the boundaries of what's possible.
This includes the design of PCBAs; the selection, evaluation, and integration of various off-the-shelf components and custom sensors, radios, and power systems; making last-minute fixes; working with third-party fabricators and assemblers; and interfacing with the software and mechanical teams. You may also participate in guiding software and mechanical design and may be involved at any stage of development including proof of concept to new product introduction.
What you will do:
- Electrical Design of Spacecraft electronics including requirement gathering, architecture and detailed design
- Schematic capture and PCB Layout using Altium Designer
- Power supply and power monitoring circuit design
- Signal and Power integrity simulation and analysis
- Peer review of schematics and layouts
- Board bring-up, verification and debugging
- Assisting and mentoring other team members to achieve their goals
What you bring:
- 4+ years of experience in a similar role
- Electronics theory, including component knowledge and analogue and digital circuitry expertise
- Board design including schematic capture, PCB layout using any enterprise software (Altium preferred) with focus on Design for manufacturing (DFM) principles.
- Experience with digital communication interfaces (I2C, SPI, CAN, UART, USB, LVDS, Ethernet)
- Strong knowledge of High-speed digital layout design practices (matched impedance, stack up and manufacturing restrictions)
- Experience using SI tools (HyperLynx, PathWave Advanced Design System, or similar)
- Experience with lab equipment including oscilloscopes, logic analysers, multimeters, etc
- Strong Debugging experience and fault identification
What makes you stand out:
- Experience with rigid-flex PCB design
- Experience with FPGA/SOC based designs
- Experienced in High power electronic design and thermal management
- RF theory/circuitry (Power amps, filters, layout etc)
- EMC testing
- Space experience
Please note that our application process includes a challenge. Our motto is 'show me the data,' so if you make it to the challenge round, you'll have time to give us your best work on a problem that lets you put your skills on display or showcase your existing portfolio.
Spire operates a hybrid work model and this position will require you to work a minimum of 3 days per week in our Glasgow office.
We cover visa processing and relocation costs for qualified candidates with a minimum university degree level of education, a prerequisite for the UK Visa process.
During the recruiting process, we may request background information including citizenship/permanent residency for US export licensing determinations.1
Spire is Global and our success draws upon the diverse viewpoints, skills and experiences of our employees. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity or veteran status.